Get Help – I’m in Malta
Abortion Support Network is open to people in Malta who need to travel to obtain a legal abortion or who seek information on the reputable providers of safe but illegal early medical abortion pills. If you are considering ordering pills from the internet, please read this first.
If you need to travel for an abortion, Abortion Support Network may be able to offer you:
- Information about the least expensive way to arrange your travel and procedure
- Financial assistance
- Advice on accommodation
- Advice in English, Maltese, or other languages on request using a translation service
Please call, text or email us to get more information, or discuss your circumstances.
On this page:
- What happens when you contact us
- Advice before you call us
- About the help we offer
- Need to cover your tracks?
What happens when you contact us
- An ASN volunteer will contact you back. Please leave a message with your contact number if we do not answer the phone.
- We have one volunteer who speaks Maltese and the rest speak English. If you need a Maltese speaker or a language other than English, please let us know and we will arrange for a translation service for any phone calls.
- ASN will assess your financial need and provide confidential, non-judgmental information and advice on the least expensive method of abortion and travel.
If you decide to travel for an abortion:
- Please do not book travel until you have spoken with ASN
- If a grant is awarded, ASN pays the clinic directly, reducing the amount you pay
- You arrange your procedure and travel, with assistance from ASN on the least expensive, most convenient way to travel
- If you require an overnight stay, ASN will arrange for you to stay in the home of a volunteer (England and Holland only) or provide information on inexpensive accommodation. Hosts provide a place to stay, meals while you are with them, and in some cases can bring you to and pick you up from the clinic
- If you access an abortion after using our service, one of our team may follow up with you 4-6 weeks later to see how things went.
Advice before you call us
- Please call us before you’ve booked travel, especially if you don’t have enough money to pay for your appointment and flights. We can’t guarantee that we will have enough funds to support everyone who contacts us and it’s important that people arrange the least expensive appointment and travel so we can help the largest number of people.
- If you call us before you book your appointment, we may be able to give information such as which clinics have the lowest fees, and the most cost-effective method of travel from where you are.
- If we agree to provide you with financial help or a place to stay, we will need some information, including your name, how far along you are, and your financial circumstances. Your communication with ASN is non-judgmental and we will not share any of your details other than if we need to arrange funding with a clinic.
- ASN volunteers are not doctors or counsellors, so we are not qualified to give medical information about abortion or help you to make your decision. However we can refer you to an organisation in England that can provide you with counselling or a telephone medical consultation prior to travelling (English language only).
- We will do our best to return all voicemails, texts and emails within two days. However, our helpline is staffed by volunteers and we can’t always answer the phone. If we do not answer, please leave a voicemail with your phone number.
- We can provide information about reputable providers of early medical abortion pills by post. If you are considering ordering abortion pills online, please read this first.
- ASN does not ask gender when communicating with clients; nor does gender identity influence grant eligibility.
About the help we offer
ASN is here to help lessen the financial burden of travelling abroad to get a safe and legal abortion. Funding is available on a case by case basis, depending on your circumstances and availability of funds. We have limited funds but try and help as many women as we can. We expect people to arrange the least expensive method of abortion and travel where possible.
If you need accommodation in England, ASN will do our best to find you one of our volunteer hosts. Hosts provide a place for you to stay in their homes, provide meals and pay local transport costs when you are with them. Our hosts are not able to accommodate children, nor are children allowed at clinics, so you will need to arrange childcare if necessary. We also have a relationship with a group in Holland that provides similar assistance.
If you are staying the night after your procedure, a host will collect you from the clinic, and take you to their home. When staying the night before a procedure, they will arrange to meet you at a convenient location between the airport and their home. All Abortion Support Network volunteers are carefully screened and trained and believe in a woman’s right to have an abortion.
Need to cover your tracks?
If you think someone is monitoring your internet usage, your safest option is to access the internet from a neutral place such as a friend’s house, your work, an internet cafe or local library.
If you don’t want anyone to know that you have visited this (or any) website, you can delete your browser web history or use Private Browsing mode, which does not store any web history. You may also want to delete your search history from Google, or use DuckDuckGo, a search engine that doesn’t track you.
Be aware that the owner or administrator of the computer may still be able to monitor websites you visit.
If you want to email us without leaving a copy in your Sent folder, use the form on our Contact Us page. Please make sure to include your email address or telephone number.
If you have an itemised bill the phone number will show, but not the name of our organisation. If you need to hide the fact that you’ve called one of our numbers, then consider using an international calling service or a calling card.