Abortion Support Network (ASN) is a charity that provides information, financial assistance and, where needed and when possible, accommodation in volunteer homes to those forced to travel for abortion care from Ireland, Northern Ireland, the Isle of Man, Malta, Gibraltar and Poland. The cost of this ranges from £400 to £2000 or more depending on circumstance and stage of pregnancy.
ASN was founded with the understanding that making abortion against the law doesn’t stop abortion but only stops safe abortion. Put another way, making abortion against the law means that when faced with an unwanted pregnancy, women with money have options and women without money have babies, or do dangerous and desperate things.
ASN is not a campaigning or lobbying organisation. While other organisations campaign for much needed law reform, our volunteers work hard to provide immediate, practical support to those who are unable to access safe and legal abortion in their own countries. We believe that the laws in these countries should change, so that ASN’s work becomes obsolete. In the meantime, we will do as much as we can to help as many people as possible.
We opened in 2009 to Ireland, Northern Ireland and the Isle of Man. While need for our services in Ireland and Northern Ireland diminished in 2018 and 2019 due to law reform in the Republic of Ireland and the availability of free treatment in England for those in Northern Ireland, we continued to hear from people who fell through the cracks of legal provision and still needed to access care abroad. In early 2019, we opened our service to those resident Malta and Gibraltar and in December 2019 we launched Abortion Without Borders for people living in Poland, a collaborate initiative delivered in partnership.
The help we offer
See our Get Help page for more information on the help we offer our clients.
Our mission, vision and values
- A world where pregnant people have the information and means to access safe, legal abortions wherever they live.
- To provide information, financial assistance and accommodation to those who may be forced to travel to access a safe, legal abortion and to support the growth of the abortion funds movement by sharing our knowledge and expertise.
- We believe that all those who need them have the right to safe and legal abortions
- We believe in providing practical support to enable people to exercise this right
- We are compassionate and respectful of abortion-seekers and their decisions
- We believe in sharing our knowledge, expertise and experience with others to grow the abortion funds movement and increase access to safe abortion
* ASN does not ask gender when assessing financial eligibility, nor does gender influence funding.